St. John is a beautiful island in the United States Virgin Islands known for its pristine beaches, clear blue waters, and lush tropical forests. If you’re planning a trip to St. John for the first time, here’s what you need to know to make the most of your stay.
Getting to St. John
The easiest way to get to St. John is by flying into the Cyril E. King Airport on St. Thomas and then taking a ferry to St. John. The ferry ride takes about 20 minutes and offers breathtaking views of the Caribbean Sea. Be sure to check the ferry schedule in advance and arrive at the ferry terminal at least 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
Getting Around St. John
The best way to get around St. John is by car. Renting a car is easy and convenient, with several car rental companies available on the island. Keep in mind that the roads on St. John are narrow and winding, so it’s best to rent a smaller car like a Jeep or a compact SUV. Alternatively, you can also take a taxi or use the island’s public transportation system, which consists of small buses known as “safaris.”
St. John is known for its stunning natural beauty, with plenty of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Here are some of the top attractions on the island:
- Trunk Bay: This iconic beach is known for its crystal clear waters and underwater snorkeling trail.
- Cinnamon Bay: Another popular beach on the island, Cinnamon Bay offers plenty of activities like kayaking, paddleboarding, and hiking.
- Virgin Islands National Park: This sprawling national park covers two-thirds of the island and offers hiking trails, historic sites, and breathtaking views of the island’s natural beauty.
- Coral Bay: This charming town on the eastern side of the island offers plenty of shops, restaurants, and nightlife.
- Annaberg Plantation: This historic site offers a glimpse into the island’s past, with restored buildings and artifacts from the island’s colonial era.
Where to Eat and Drink
St. John offers plenty of options for dining and drinking, with a variety of restaurants, bars, and cafes to choose from. Some of the top places to eat and drink on the island include:
- The Beach Bar: This popular beachside bar offers live music, frozen drinks, and a laid-back atmosphere.
- Cruz Bay Landing: This waterfront restaurant offers fresh seafood, Caribbean-inspired cuisine, and stunning views of the harbor.
- The Longboard: This trendy restaurant and bar offers fusion cuisine, craft cocktails, and a hip, beachy vibe.
- Skinny Legs: This casual bar and grill in Coral Bay is known for its burgers, cold beer, and live music.
St. John is a beautiful island paradise that offers something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing beach vacation or an adventure-packed trip, St. John has plenty to offer. By following these tips and exploring the island’s top attractions, you can make the most of your first trip to this stunning Caribbean destination.