Here os St. John we haul our garbage (almost daily) to the large dumpsters on the roadsides. If you let trash pile up, it will inevitably attract insects and rodents that you do not want to deal with. Trust us on this one and remove garbage regularly to avoid any issues. Our recycling program here have been a struggle but there is continued progress by Island Green Living to make recycling viable here. There are several ways that residents and visitors can help our little island with our efforts to reduce, reuse and recycle.
- Use a refillable water bottle and buy water by the gallon instead of buying cases of small plastic bottles.
- Carry a reusable drink cup when you go to town.
- Avoid using plastic straws. Many establishments have converted to eco-friendly straw options but not all.
- Bring your own shopping bags to the grocery store. Many of the villas have reusable bags.
- If a trash bin or dumpster is full, search for another one. Leaving trash beside the container is littering.